Dennis C. Duling, Ph.D.
Personal Web Page
DEPARTMENT OF RELIGIOUS STUDIES and THEOLOGY
Home Phone: 716-745-1160
B.D. [=M.Div.], McCormick Theological Seminary,
Post-Graduate Advanced Study:
· T.B. Blackstone Fellow, New Testament Greek (McCormick Theological Seminary, 1962-1963)
· National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow (Washington, DC, 1984-1985)
Kenneth L. Koessler Distinguished Faculty Award for excellence in
teaching, concern for students, service to the college, and scholarship,
Graduation with Honors, The
Eta Sigma Phi (the National Classics Honorary), The
· Graduation with Honors, McCormick Theological Seminary
· Alpha Sigma Nu (the National Jesuit Honor Society)
National and International Society Memberships:
· Society of Biblical Literature (SBL), Co-chair, Social Sciences and New Testament Interpretation Section (2001-2006)
· Catholic Biblical Association (CBA), past consultant for the Executive Board
· Social Context Group, a Project on the Bible in its Socio-historical Context (1976-present)
· Jesus Seminar, Charter Member (active 1986-1989).
Key Studies and Lectures
Dr. Duling has authored Jesus
Christ Through History; introduced and translated a magical document, “The
Testament of Solomon,” for The Old
Testament Pseudepigrapha (ed. J. Charlesworth); and annotated the “Gospel of
Matthew” in The Harper Collins Study
Bible. His most recent book, The New
Testament. History, Literature, and Social Context (
He is currently working on the social-scientific criticism of the Gospel of Matthew, ethnicity, social memory, and aromas in the ancient world and the Bible.
In his spare time Dr. Duling enjoys husbanding, grandfathering, golf, and playing jazz (keyboards) in The Water Street Quartet. He also enjoys boating, symphonic music, movies, and the Buffalo Bills.
Family and Local
Dennis is married to Dr. Gretchen (Smith) Duling, Ph.D. The couple has
two adult children, Teddie Anne (Eric) Granville and Stephen Lester Ngo Duling,
and two grandchildren, Flynn Duling Granville and Clio Alice Granville. Dr.
Duling’s mother Alice resides in