Career Search Suggestions for Undergrads, Grads and Alumni
1) Visit the Canisius College Career Center, which can provide students with career counseling, cover letter and resume critiques, and credential file services (education majors). Additionally, the career center can help you prepare for interviews and provide you with contacts to local, regional and national employers through career fairs.
2) Schedule an appointment with me (716-888-2575). I can assist you with your resume, a cover letter and even your job search. Additionally, I can assist you with your preparations for an interview as well as transitioning to a new job.
3) Talk to professors in your department. In addition to identifying potential employers, professors can guide you in regards to what coursework will best prepare you for professional life and what internships/jobs will provide you with the best knowledgebase and better marketability for your professional life.
Neil's Quick Tips:
1) Stop by the Canisius College Career Center and complete the Strong Interest Inventory. Then, and this is extremely important, go over the results with a member of the Career Center staff.
2) Ask someone to proofread your resume BEFORE you submit it. The same goes for your cover letter.
3) DON'T send out one resume to multiple employers. Tailor each resume to a prospective job ad. A potential employer doesn't want to be treated as a number any more than you do!
Back to Neil's Corner