Using Google Forms for Assessment
What are Google Forms?
- Cloud-based online assessments with free data storage
- Viewable from any computer with internet access
- Enables you to share the results with others and even create assessments collaboratively
- Saves on printing
- Data is stored - no more losing student papers
How to Create the Form:
Here's a video explaining step by step how to set up your own online assessment using Google Forms:
How can Google Forms be Used for Assessment?
- Forms used for self grading quizzes
- Embed practice quizzes on a blog or website to give students additional practice before a big test. You find out right away their understanding of the material.
- Form to keep track of classroom behavior.
- Graph the results of a survey using the embedded graphing tools
- Students could create their own google form assessment after a unit of study. this could strenthen their understanding about effective questions and they can complete others' quizzes to boost their understanding. You can even take some of the questions they created and use them for your own teacher made assessment! (Idea taken from http://edte.ch/blog/2008/08/23/10-google-forms-for-the-classroom/)
- Get feedback from parents. Ask them for their insights or opinions on certain topics.
- Collect book reports
- Use as exit tickets (See example on the right).
- Keep track of discipline referrals
- Here's a sample form that could be used to collect peer feedback on class presentations: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=ck1KaF9MSFRyT3B4aEd2QkJOM3VuTmc6MA..
- Kern Kelly's Google Forms templates - includes self-grading quizzes, response to Literature form, Science Fair judging forms, and more!!! Excellent Resource https://sites.google.com/site/kernkelley/forms
Here's a view of what the spreadsheet looks like when there is data to be examine: